Happy accident! I had the following in my fridge the HAD to be cooked (or tossed the next day): 2 packages of chicken breast, 2 small heels of raw cheddar, a thawed package of Applegate Farms organic turkey bacon, and a package of sliced mushrooms that were teetering on the verge of cook-me-or-compost-me, and the the last glassful at bottom of a bottle of white wine. I was stuck in the kitchen for half an hour anyway waiting for a handy man to finish up a quick job. I pulled all this out and, inspired by a random video on Facebook, came up with this:
Stuffed Chicken Breast with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Bacon
I think pancetta would be a brilliant substitute for the turkey bacon. Also, feel free to leave out the cheese (although the gravy may suffer 😉) or substitute with something you prefer. I would not put raw pork bacon in the middle of this. I don’t think it will cook adequately. If you use pork bacon, pre-cook it, but leave it soft.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 c. white wine
- 1/2 c. sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cut in half
- 4 slices raw mild cheddar cheese, about 1/2 oz each
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 c gluten-free breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- …and don’t forget the toothpicks!
Preheat oven to 350.
The key to this is setting up the mise en place. Line everything up BEFORE you start. Trust me on this one!
This is what my mise looked like:
- Oil baking dish, spread mushrooms out evenly on bottom of baking dish. Pour wine over top. Set at the end of your mise en place assembly line.
- Flatten chicken breasts, pounding them out between two layers of plastic wrap. I used a small bottle of tapenade as my hammer.
- On the underside of the flattened chicken breast, lay out a few pieces of sun-died tomatoes, one piece of turkey bacon, and a small piece of cheese.
- Roll each chicken breast, secure with toothpicks.
- Dip in beaten egg, getting all sides.
- Roll in seasoned breadcrumbs
- Set in baking dish, toothpick side up, on top of the mushrooms.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Removed cover so the tops can brown and bake another 10-15 minutes.