If you happen to overestimate oatmeal…like me…and feel guilty throwing it away…like me…I’ve adapted this recipe from Food.com for a gluten-free diet. I also added a little flax for extra fiber and a streusel topping because that’s just how I roll.
Gluten-Free Leftover Oatmeal Muffins
• 2 eggs
• 1/3 c melted butter or Spectrum shortening
• 1/2 c applesauce
• 1 c leftover certified gluten-free oatmeal, the thicker the better!
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3/4 c brown sugar
• 1 c Enjoy Life chocolate chips
• 1 c gluten-free all purpose flour*
• 2 tbs finely ground flax seed
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 3 Tbsp chilled butter
• 3 Tbsp GF flour
• 3 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp uncooked GF oatmeal
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• In large mixing bowl, combine ingredients eggs thru chocolate chips
• In small bowl combine flour, flax seed, baking powder and baking soda, then add to large mixing bowl.
• Fill lined muffin tin 3/4 full
• Mix ingredients for streusel with fork and sprinkle evenly on batter.
• Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until they spring back from touch or toothpick comes out clean.
*I used Cup4Cup, but any GF blend will work. I’m especially fond of this tutorial from Gluten-Free Girl.