This year Teacher Appreciation Week overlapped at 2 out of the 3 schools my kids attend. I was supposed to provide flowers for all the teachers as school 1 and a meatless dish for a Mexican luncheon at school 2. Well, the flowers got delivered….
Dear Teachers, if I had been less distracted by
the MMA-style smack down in the back of my minivan squabbling children, I might have ensured timely delivery.
This is the result of my 11:30 pm brainwave that I had to provide a dish. One pot. Super easy.
Cheesy Rice and Beans
• 2 cups uncooked rice
• Water for cooking: Double volume for stove top, or follow manufacturer’s directions for a rice cooker.
• 1 can black beans, rinsed
• 1 c salsa
• 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Daiya dairy-free substitute
• salt and pepper to taste
• Combine water, rice, beans, and salsa in rice cooker or large sauce pan on stove top. Cook according to standard directions. (Either push Cook button or simmer covered for 20 mins)
• When rice is cooked through, stir to thoroughly combine rice and beans
• Add cheese, salt, and pepper
• Top with additional shredded cheese and a little salsa.