Risotto is a good way to get lots of homemade chicken broth into your family.
I made this for my extended family on a recent visit and my niece, Miss E, asked me to put it on the blog so someone else can make it when I go home.
I got all my supplies at Trader Joe’s. Of course.
Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash
• 2 c cubed butternut squash, roasted
• 1 1/2 c arborio rice
• 1 qt chicken broth
• 1/2 c parmesan cheese
• 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
• 1tsp onion powder
• salt and pepper to taste
• Toss butternut squash with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. Roast in 375 oven for 30 mins, or until very soft and caramelized. Like this.
• Heat broth in large saucepan
• Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan then add remaining olive oil (hot pan, cold oil, food won’t stick)
• Add dry arborio rice to oil, stir so it doesn’t stick, toast for a minute or so, stirring constantly. It’s ready when it starts to turn a bit golden.
• Add heated broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid absorbs.
• Keep adding broth and stirring rice until rice is cooked through
• Add onion powder, cheese, and butternut squash
• Season to taste.