January 1, 2013 I started The Year I Get Better. I’ve had a gazillion tests run, been to many doctor appointments, including traveling out of state to see our favorite Functional Medicine doctor, tried many therapies, read countless articles, and tried to fix my own health while juggling my lack of energy and my intense kids.
Six months in, where do I stand? Not much farther along the path to wellness than where I started, unfortunately.
– We officially ruled out a lot of dreaded autoimmune issues.
– I finally got an official diagnosis of hypothyroidism, after years of looking hypo but the numbers not reflecting it and past treatments pushing me to things like racing heartbeat, etc.
– Meyer’s cocktail nutrient IVs can help, but it’s pricey and it doesn’t stick
– After a push from my Mom, I’m finally investigating MTHFR, a genetic variation that can affect methylation and can result in chronic health issues…like fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression, autism…(Hey! I know those people!) And I’m taking MB12 sublingual lozenges and hydroxy B12 subQ shots to address the B12 deficiency and poor methylation.
– I have found eggs I’m not allergic to! Chickens than lay Vital Farms pastured eggs get no corn or soy feed.
– The hideous eczema on my hands has been beaten back. Yes, I had to resort to hydrocortisone and constant use of nitrile gloves, but only after 8 months of trying everything else under the sun.
What I need to work on:
– Fatigue. Not “of course you’re tired because you’re a mom” tired. Bone tired. Unrelieved by theoretically adequate sleep.
– Brain fog. Really painful, life-limiting brain fog.
– Weight. Gah, tired of dealing with this.
– Joint pain, especially ankles.
– Gastritis…rearing it’s ugly head again after I thought I’d dealt with it last year. Not so much, apparently.
– Revisit every healing diet plan I know and cobble something together that works for my allergies, my energy level (so probably not GAPS), time, etc. Looking at “Minding My Mitochondria” structured paleo and paleo autoimmune protocol in particular.
– Revisit adrenal support protocol: 1/2 tsp salt in water in morning, frequent protein snacks, Vital Adapt, licorice tea, more rest, less caffeine, daily meditation
– Hair test with Theresa Vernon LAc to look at mineral transport and utilization.
– Graded non-impact exercise, like stationary bike
– MTHFR supplementation and mito cocktail: Bs, folinic acid in high doses, CoQ10, Acetyl L-Carnitine.
– Put all this into my iPhone with alarms and deadlines to remind me to take all my supplements, run tests, go to bed, etc. Basically use the phone to supplement my Executive Functioning.
I will revisit in 3 months and reassess. My goal is to feel better, think better, do better so I have the focus and fortitude to do what my kids need so they can thrive. I’m pretty sure if I can get a handle on my own health issues, I’ll be able to get a better handle on theirs.
Wish me luck.