I admit that I have struggled mightily with menu planning. Planning, in general, can be a challenge at times. At the beginning of January I managed to create and follow a plan and…it worked! A month later, I can report that it was very helpful, it reduced stress, it reduced eating out, and probably saved a little cash. If I can do this, anyone can do this. KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. I have a few places in the week where I can try a new recipe and, if all else fails, I keep natural, nitrate-free hot dogs in the freezer.
I don’t fool myself that I’m good enough at this to have saved money, too. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
I took a tip from a mom who planned out 6 full weeks of menus while she was training for a marathon. Her list wasn’t GF, so I adapted this for my needs. I took a look at what my kids will eat, and factored in crock pot night on our craziest day of the week. I generally rotate through just a couple of veggie side dishes for them–they like green beans, spinach, and broccoli and they will occasionally eat salad or carrots–and added rice, rice noodles, or potatoes. Yes, even French fries. On Taco Tuesdays, they get pinto beans, rice, and organic corn tortillas. The menu is GF, and a few meals are very paleo-friendly. Basically, I divvied up with week as follows:
- Italian sausage in Muir Glen pizza sauce, with GF penne
- Sweet potato & bacon turkey meatballs
- Chicken apple
- Shredded chicken
- Skirt steak tacos from Practical Paleo (OMG, this is so good I made it 2x!)
- Chuck Roast in tomatilla salsa
- Not-Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Korean Short Ribs with rice
- Chuck Roast in tomatilla salsa (freeze leftovers for taco night following week)
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken with Gravy (delicious!!)
- BBQ Chicken with organic corn on the cob
- Chicken breast in Muir Glen pizza sauce with GF penne
- Pan-fried chicken strips (tossed in plantain flour, salt and pepper before cooking) with organic tater tots
- Rotisserie Chicken from Roli Roti food truck with rosemary and lemon roasted potatoes. Any GF rotisserie chicken would do. Read your ingredients!
- Sweet potato and bacon turkey burgers (make up half the mix as meatballs and freeze)
- Sliders in BBQ sauce (Bone Suckin’ Sauce is GF)
- Burgers on Udi’s GF buns
- In-N-Out burgers, protein style
Dominos delivers GF pizza! We have a couple of places near us we can get carry out GF pizza.
Leftovers or Soup Sunday